PODCAST Doug Lisle: self esteem, success and evolutionary psychology
Early last year I made a youtube video called my argument against moderation. I received a lot of great feedback from this video, including a number of people recommending I read The Pleasure Trap by Doug Lisle and Alan Goldhammer. Of course I turned straight to chapter 14 and started reading about The Myths of Moderation and this is still my favourite chapter I’ve ever read. It really helped me to know that some genuine experts in diet and psychology were also thinking along similar lines to me and that perhaps I wasn’t just some crazy nut job after all!
Douglas J. Lisle, Ph.D., is the founder of a new method of approaching human psychology and wellbeing. He describes this approach as Esteem Dynamics – it’s core insights adapted from a revolutionary biological approach to psychology. Central figures having major influence on Dr. Lisle’s thinking include Richard Dawkins, John Tooby and Leda Cosmides, David Buss, Steven Pinker, and Geoffrey Miller. All of these individuals are considered academic A-list thinkers in evolutionary theory and human psychology. Somewhat surprisingly, insights from these trailblazers has yet to reach mainstream clinical psychology, and thus major advances stemming from some of the world’s greatest thinkers have yet to be systematically applied to problems of helping people improve their lives. Esteem Dynamics is the first such effort – born of Dr. Lisle’s 25-years of clinical experience wedded to the deep insights into human nature now available via evolutionary psychology.
This conversation totally blew my mind from beginning to end, I really could’ve talked all day long with Doug. So many things he said really hit home to me personally and helped me to make sense of my own behaviours and life experiences.
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did.
Stuff we talked about
- Doug’s website – Esteem Dynamics
- The Pleasure Trap – by Doug Lisle and Alan Goldhammer
- True North Health Centre
- Alan Goldhammer on the Spud Fit Podcast
- Adele Davis – Let’s Eat right to keep fit
- Psychodietetics – by Emanuel Cheraskin
- Natural Hygiene – Herbert M. Shelton
- John McDougall
- T.Colin Campbell
- Caldwell Esselstyn
- Psychology of self esteem by Nathaniel Brandon
- Evolutionary Psychology
- John Tooby
- Leda Cosmides
- Potatoes Not Prozac by Kathleen Desmaisons
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
- The Extended Phenotype Richard Dawkins
- The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
- Basketball coach John Wooden – “Success is the piece of mind that comes with doing your job.” Check out his amazing Ted Talk here – https://www.ted.com/talks/john_wooden_on_the_difference_between_winning_and_success
“Self esteem must be earned. You can’t trick it” 1:20
“Your internal audience is neither fair nor unfair, but it is pitiless.”
The Dakkery – The world’s comfiest daks! Works of art hand
screen printed in Australia on organic cotton and bamboo fleece.