27 Mar PODCAST Kevin D. Hall Ph.D. on carbs vs fats and the science of metabolism
Today I get to put my geek hat on and get down with one of the world's leading nutrition scientists.
This is the second in a series of podcasts I managed to record while on a recent trip to the U.S. for Dr John McDougall's advanced study weekend. Kevin Hall was a fellow speaker and I was totally fascinated by his presentation on the studies he's been working on over his varied career.
Kevin's laboratory investigates how metabolism and the brain adapt in response to a variety of interventions to diet and physical actvity. They perform experiments in both humans and rodents to better understand the complex mechanisms regulating macronutrient metabolism, body composition, and energy expenditure. A unique aspect of their laboratory involves the development of mathematical models to quantitatively describe, explain, integrate, and predict their experimental results.
As always I feel so grateful and lucky to be have been able to sit down with Kevin. I learned so much from this conversation and I hope you do too. Get your thinking hats on and your notebooks out for this one!
Stuff we talked about
- More info. on Kevin here.
- Calorie for Calorie, Dietary Fat Restriction Results in More Body Fat Loss than Carbohydrate Restriction in People with Obesity.
- Striatal dopamine D2-like receptor correlation patterns with human obesity and opportunistic eating behavior.
- Validation of an inexpensive and accurate mathematical method to measure long-term changes in free-living energy intake.
- Quantification of the effect of energy imbalance on bodyweight.
Thanks to my wife Mandy van Zanen for the theme music.
The Dakkery - The world's comfiest daks! Works of art hand
screen printed in Australia on organic cotton and bamboo fleece.