Cheesy Cannellini & Roasted Garlic Whipped Potatoes
This recipe was brought to you by Dr. Neal Barnard, writer of the book "The Cheese Trap".
Dr Barnard is another of those who I consider to be one of the godfathers of plant-based nutrition and health. He has authored many groundbreaking studies, including some fascinating and impactful work on type-2 diabetes. He is president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, and has made a great contribution to the acceptance of plant-based diets in the dietary guidelines for Americans.
- 3 good mashing potatoes, peeled and cut into medium diced
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic head, roasted in foil until soft, or 2 tablespoons prepared roasted garlic
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) plain unsweetened soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 g (1/2 oz/¼ cup) nutritional yeast
- 1 bunch spring onions (scallions), sliced
Put the potatoes in a large stockpot and cover with cold water. Drop in the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to medium–low and simmer until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
Meanwhile, blitz the cannellini beans in a food processor with the roasted garlic. Add the soy milk, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast, and blend until well combined.
Gradually add the diced potatoes, about a cup at a time, to the food processor and process until smooth. Season with extra salt and pepper if needed, then garnish with the spring onions.