Crunchy Potato Balls
This recipe was brought to you by Kathy Ashton from Flourish Live Naturally.
Kathy Ashton was the first person to make the suggestion that changing my diet could have been responsible for the dramatic improvement in my mental health. She told me all about how healthy intestinal flora contributes to significant improvements in serotonin production in the gut. Medication tends to focus specifically on hormones produced in the brain, but unbeknownst to me until I met Kathy, my potato-only diet was creating an excellent environment for the feel-good hormones in my gut.
- 5 large white unpeeled potatoes, chopped (see note)
- 1 red onion, centre removed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, centre removed and finely chopped
- 1 x 450 g (16 oz) tin white cannellini beans (or other bean of your choosing), rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 30g (½ cup/1 oz) nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- chilli flakes (optional)
- fresh tomato salsa, organic tomato sauce, or relish
Place the chopped potatoes into a large pot of cold water. Boil until tender, drain and then mash.
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
When the mash is cool enough to handle, add all the other ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Form the mixture into balls and place onto an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake until golden brown (20-25 minutes)
Season and topped with fresh tomato salsa, organic tomato sauce or relish and chilli flakes if desired.
Note: You can substitute sweet potatoes if you prefer, or you can do a mixture of both.