Loaded Sweet Potato with Greens + Sprouts
This recipe was brought to you by Dr. Joel Kahn from GreenSpace café in Ferndale and Royal Oak, Michigan.
Dr. Kahn is an internationally known cardiologist who has treated thousands of patients during heart attacks. He is a Summa Cum Laude graduate of the University of Michigan School of Medicine, and the first physician in the world to be certified in Metabolic Cardiology. He now treats and prevents heart disease using nutrition and integrative therapies.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 250–500 ml (81/2–17 fl oz/1–2 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and torn into pieces (or organic baby spinach or rocket/arugula)
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) tin black beans, drained and rinsed (or chickpeas or cannellini beans, preferably organic in BPA-free tins) handful of sprouts, to serve
- salsa of your choice, to serve (optional)
- sea salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
Pierce the potatoes a few times with a fork and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 1 hour, or until tender and easily pierced with a sharp knife. Set aside to cool slightly.
Heat a small saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the garlic in the vegetable broth.
Add the kale, cover and cook for 2–3 minutes, then add the beans and cook for another couple of minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper
Cut the potatoes in half lengthways and top with the beans and greens mixture. Finish with the sprouts and some salsa, if using.