Potato: Soup-er Food
This recipe was brought to you by Dr. Malcolm Mackay.
A few weeks into my year-long Spud Fit challenge, I received a very cool email from Tim Steele who wanted to assure me that I was on the right track with potatoes and that he had done a lot of research to back it up. He was just disappointed that I hadn’t done my challenge earlier so that I could be featured in the ‘Icons’ chapter of his new book ‘The Potato Hack’, which was due to be released in a few weeks.
- 2–3 large potatoes
- 350 ml (12 fl oz) vegetable stock
- sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and spices of your choice, to taste
- 45 g (11/2 oz/½ cup) chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 40 g (11/2 oz/¼ cup) chopped onions (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Cut the potatoes into 2.5 cm (1 in) cubes and boil in the vegetable stock until tender. Add seasoning and spices to taste.
Remove 250 ml (81/2 fl oz/1 cup) of the soup and place in a blender. Blitz to a purée, then return to the pot and bring the soup to the boil.
Add the mushrooms and onion, and continue boiling for another 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve garnished with chopped parsley.