Russell’s Turmeric infused Super Duper Antioxidant ‘cheese’ Sauce
This recipe was brought to you by Dr. Irminne Van Dyken from The Vegetarian Society of Hawaii.
Dr Van Dyken places heavy emphasis on prevention and reversal of disease using diet and lifestyle alone. It is especially rewarding for her to see her patients do a 180-degree turn and completely restructure their lives around plant-based living. In fact, the changes
she has seen are unprecedented.
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), stalk removed
- 4 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 40 g (11/2 oz/¼ cup) cashew nuts (or other nuts of your choice)
- 30 g (1 oz/¼ cup) walnuts
- juice of 1 large lemon or lime
- 15 g (1/2 oz/¼ cup) nutritional yeast
- ½ tablespoon ground turmeric (or a 5 cm/2 in piece fresh turmeric root, peeled)
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño chilli, stalk removed, or 1 tablespoon chilli flakes (optional)
Combine all the ingredients, including the jalapeño (if using), in a high-speed blender and blitz to a smooth purée. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Note: For a spiced variation on this sauce, try replacing the ground turmeric with ½ tablespoon Madras curry powder.