Sweet Potato & Red Lentil Stew
This recipe was brought to you by Dr. Laurie Marbas.
Dr Marbas is not just a great doctor, but a great educator too. She believes that every person has the right to know how to eat to prevent and reverse chronic disease, and she emphasises the inherent simplicity in positive lifestyle changes.
- 4 spring onions (scallions), diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 155 g (51/2 oz/1 cup) grated carrot
- 2 litres (70 fl oz/9 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz/2 cups) red lentils
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm (1 in) dice
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place a large stockpot over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots with about a 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) vegetable stock and sauté until the vegetables are soft.
Add more vegetable stock as needed to keep the vegetables from sticking.
Once the vegetables are soft, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Add the red lentils, sweet potatoes and thyme. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cook for 20–25 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy!